My Week of Insanity
I guess I am a little insane because, after trying (and hating) the fit test in the Insanity DVDs, I decided to try a bit more of the collection.
My fitness level is so low again that I didn’t beat myself up for not being able to finish a workout.
Here’s how my week went:
Day 1: Fit Test
- results were given in the last post
Day 2: Plyometric Cardio Circuit
- 27 out of 40 minutes – I ran out of time with this one and had to cut it short so I could take a shower before going out…but I’m not complaining as I was quite happy to stop and had gotten an excellent workout.
- min hr – 90, peak hr – 195, avg hr – 157
- 392 calories burned
- Was exhausting and I was fighting tooth and nail to keep going by the end.
- Didn’t throw up!! Woo!
Day 3: Cardio Power & Resistance
- 40 out of 40 minutes. Woo! Made it to the end and didn’t get sick!
- min hr – 69, peak hr – 184, avg hr – 156
- 563 calories burned
- Had to slow it waaaaay down and modify more than a few moves in order to keep going (ie: power jumps became squat jumps, didn’t go down far enough to touch floor on some moves)
Day 4: Cardio Recovery
- 32 out of 32 minutes. Easy to finish. They called it light cardio in order to recover but it was more like strength training.
- min hr – 63, peak hr – 137, avg hr – 106
- 266 calories burned
- Muscles on inner thighs near knees BURNED!!! Reminded me of old injury from 30DS and I eased up on the lunges.
Day 5: Pure Cardio
- 38 out of 38 minutes
- min hr – 105, peak hr – 183, avg hr – 158
- 556 calories burned
- Threw up in my mouth twice toward beginning but that was because I had some granola sometime around an hour beforehand. NOT eating for 2 hours before doing these workouts seems to be EXTREMELY important.
- Oh. My. Goodness. Water breaks after warm-up and after stretches but none after that till cooldown stretches. I was encouraged to take my own breaks…and I did.
- My thigh muscles are coming back!
Day 6: Cardio Abs
- 17 out of 17 minutes
- min hr – 84, peak hr – 165, avg hr – 121
- 175 calories burned
- Didn’t work my abs as much as my hip flexors. By the time I had to concentrate on my abs, my hip flexors were so tired that I couldn’t lift my legs to work my abs!
- I think a little less cardio while working the abs would be better because I’d be able to concentrate on my abs and work them more.
Keeping in mind that the Cardio Abs workout was only 17 minutes, I decided to get a little running/walking in that day as well. We took a family outing to the park where my son rode his bike, my husband rode my son’s scooter, and I jogged.
- 23 minutes, 273 calories burned
- min hr – 94, peak hr – 198, avg hr – 135
I don’t know how far we went but it was pretty hot so we didn’t go the full distance on the trail. My son kept stopping toward the end saying his bike ran out of gas and he needed to refill. So he’d hop off, run to a bench like it was a gas pump, and pretend to fill his bike with gas. It was cute…until the end when we were about 50 meters away from the car and there was no shade to wait in while he filled up his tank. UGH! HOT!!!
The last DVD of the 1st month in Insanity is scheduled for later today. It’ll probably go along the same lines as the others. All in all, the series is fun in a masochistic sort of way. I hated it at first and I’m still not too fond of each workout while I do it but I no longer hate them. In fact, I’m enjoying myself. I guess I must be insane.
Unfortunately, the DVDs are due back to the library tomorrow and I can’t renew them. Maybe I’ll let them rest and switch to some Jillian Michaels after this. Then I can see if the DVDs are available next week and do them again starting with the Fit Test. I’m curious to see how much progress I’d make.
Have you ever tried a workout etc you thought you wouldn’t be able to do?